Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day Nine - Scottsdale to Williams, AZ

I get to leave Scottsdale! Yah!

"On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again,
And I can't wait to get on the road again."

Thank you, Willy, that's enough of that.

Side note: the May issue of Texas Monthly magazine did a feature on Willie Nelson that was amazing - well worth the read! The pictures alone are worth the time - honest. Never knew Willie could be so dramatic.



View Larger Map

I headed out from Scottsdale at 9:30ish. First stop was gas at $4.29 a gallon - the hightest yet. Must have been a Scottsdale thing because a few miles away it was down to $4.19 - not quite so bad.
The drive went fine. Glad I wasn't trying to head south on I-17 as there was an accident that had the two lane highway backed up for 18 miles and I am not kidding. It was ugly and I was so glad to be a) heading north and b) to have a new rad installed in old Kels!
My only stop for the day was supposed to be Prescott but along the way, there was a lovely little western town frontage called Dewey-Humbolt. Very sweet and nice little stop. There were a few antique shops, a real estate office and the local Chamber of Commerce. Took some fun pics of antique saddles - old leather and silver are great to shoot!
Prescott was amazing! It was 
the original territorial capitol and President Lincoln wanted it to look like a northern town versus the rest of Arizona that had the adobe look that is still prevalant. It made Prescott stand out then and it still has a flavour all its own. Fun to shoot and as usual, I would love to have had more time to spend in the neat little town.
Prescott's other claim to fame is it was the home base of Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders during the Spanish Wars. This statue is in honour of the Rough Riders and was made by Solon Hannibal Borgum (1868 - 1922), America's first cowboy sculptor. Its lifesize - huge!!!



The rest of the drive was uneventful although I had forgotten how boring it was to drive the freeways. I will be avoiding them from now on!
The KOA at Williams was nice although they did not have wireless at the campsites which really put a damper on my evening. My site was a little barren - a couple more trees would have been much appreciated as the sun was intense. Once the sun was down however, the temperature dropped alarmingly and by the morning it was 2 degrees Celsuis - what is up with that?!? Made for a heck of a chilly night and after two months of Dallas and Phoenix temps, it seemed even colder!

0 comments:

Post a Comment