Monday, August 27, 2007

Queen Alexandra Hospital Car Show and Fund Raiser




This summer I seem to have developed a bit of an obsession - car shows. They are great to practice your photography skills because they don't move and yet are challenging because of the highly reflective bits (I ruin more then a few shots by having my image reflected back at me).

This particular show helps to raise money for an excellent cause - the Queen Alexandra Foundation for Children. My first exposure to the QA was volunteering for a summer somewhere around grade six with a bunch of kids from neighboring schools. It was quite the summer - we went everywhere with the kids most of which were wheelchair bound. It taught me a ton about the frustration of physical handicaps and the limitations of being stuck in a wheelchair. Granted, this was the late 70's and as far as I can remember, things were not quite as handicap friendly back then. At least society has evolved a bit since then!

The show was on the waterfront grounds of the hospital - a beautiful spot near the University of Victoria. The cars started on Clover Point, however, and convoyed along the waterfront drive to the QA where they were parked according to marquee. I spent a few hours there with a fellow photographer capturing what I could of the vehicles and a German Shepherd puppy that caught my attention (of course).

0 comments:

Post a Comment